Thursday, July 17, 2008

Happy Birthday to me!


It's official, I'm older than dirt. My birthdayometer rolls over to 49 today. Pretty incredible as I definitely don't feel that old and I don't think I act that old. Most days, that is. Some days I feel older than my mother. Tim has to work tonight, but the girls and my mom and I are going to Chipotle for dinner and then to the ice cream shop after for a treat.
I plan to have more contests going up very soon, so please stop back for those. My next review will be for the third book (Seducing a Bride) in Nicole Jordan's latest series. In the meantime, I thought I'd share some birthday wisdom from the incredible Maya Angelo.
Maya Angelou was interviewed by Oprah on her 70+ birthday. Oprah asked her what she thought of growing older. And, there on television, she said it was "exciting." Regarding body changes, she said there were many, occurring every day...like her breasts. They seem to be in a race to see which will reach her waist, first. The audience laughed so hard they cried. She is such a simple and honest woman, with so much wisdom in her words!
Maya Angelou said:
"I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow."
"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."
"I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life."
"I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as "making a life."
"I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance."
"I've learned that you shouldn't! go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back."
"I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision."
"I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one."
"I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back."
"I've learned that I still have a lot to learn."
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Have a great day!
Laurie

29 comments:

Michelle B said...

Happy Birthday, Laurie! I hope it's a great one:)

Stacy~ said...

Happy birthday hon! You look at least 20 years younger than your actual age, and if you weren't such a sweetie, I might hate you for that *g* Have a fabulous day - you definitely deserved to be pampered. {{{hugs}}}

Melissa Schroeder said...

woo hoo! Congrats, woman! I am searching for a man for you right now!

Cheryl said...

Happy Birthday, Laurie! Hope you have a fabulous day!

Cheryl S.

Lisa F. said...

You are such a special woman, Laurie! I hope you have a great day today and celebrate many more with your family and friends.

Lori T said...

Happy Birthday Laurie!!

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Patty L. said...

Happy Birthday Laurie. Just remember that 49 is the new 29. So enjoy your twenties while they last.

Sasha White said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Age it truly a state of mind, and you're a wonderfully smart, beautiful and young at heart lady!

CrystalGB said...

Happy Birthday Laurie. I hope you have a fabulous day.

Wolfy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Hope that you have a great day, and enjoy the supper out, but especially the ice cream treat.

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Hope you enjoy your day. Don't worry about your age you are only as old as you feel, I got your beat by a few years myself.

Fedora said...

Happy, happy birthday, Laurie!! Like everyone's said, it's not the age, it's the state of mind :) I hope you enjoy some special celebrating with your family!

robynl said...

a very Happy Birthday to you, Laurie. That piece of cake sure looks tempting.

photoquest said...

Happy Birthday to You :D i like the new 49 is 29!!!Hope this will be a very special day for you !!!

Karin said...

Happy Birthday, Laurie! I hope you have a great day and enjoy the dinner with your girls and your mom. :)

Thank you for sharing Maya Angelou's words of wisdom. They're fantastic.

Jane said...

Happy Birthday, Laurie. Is everyone catering to your wishes?

Laurie D. said...

Wow, do I ever feel loved! Thank you all so very much - I appreciate all of the good wishes!

I've had a wonderful day - my daughter brought me Starbucks white chocolate iced mocha when we came to work - yum. We ordered lunch out and shared a turkey/bacon baguette and a strawberry pecan summer salad - yum. Going to dinner tonight - yum. Tim bought a birthday cake today at the market, so we'll be going back home for cake and ice cream rather than going out for just ice cream - more yum. Sad that my entire day has revolved around food - and I'm loving it! Gifts tonight after Tim gets home from work - I can't wait! He and the girls always come up with the greatest things.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LAURIE!!!

I hope it has been a GrEaT one because you soooo deserve it!!!

*Hugs*

Judy F said...

Hey Girlie I hope you have a day filled with all the things that you love. I wish I was there to celebrate your birthday... YOu are so wonderful and I count you as a blessing in my life....

Dina said...

Happy Birthday, Laurie! :)

limecello said...

Happy (belated by 1 minute) birthday, Laurie! I hope it was terrific!

acdaisy95 said...

Hope you had a great and wonderful birthday!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday! Hoe you had a fabulous day.

Pam P said...

Happy Birthday, Laurie, hope you had lots of fun celebrating!

Susan said...

Belated Happy Birthday, Laurie! I hope you had a wonderful day!

Katie Reus said...

Happy belated birthday!! Hope you had lots of cake ;) Great quotes btw, I love Maya Angelou. Her positive attitude is inspirational.

Anonymous said...

Happy be-lated B-Day Laurie!

I hope that you had a great day and got all the things you wanted!

Terri W.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!

Laurie G said...

BELATED BEST WISHES!! Hope you enjoyed your day!!