Sunday, May 25, 2008

May we never forget


This Memorial Day, we all need to keep in mind that this holiday weekend isn't solely about cookouts, car racing, or the obscene price of gas for those who are on the road. It's to remember those who bravely served our country to protect our many freedoms and privileges. Sadly, the Memorial Day parade in our city has always been the least attended of all. The past two years they haven't even had a parade, and this year aren't even having a recognition service at the soldier's circle in our largest, oldest cemetery. This has been a tradition since before I was born and I think it's a shame. The head of the veterans' services administration for our county said that WWII vets are too few and too old to head up these events any longer, and the younger veterans don't seem to care. He went on to say that there are a significant number of younger vets around, enough to keep five veterans' facilities such as the VFW and Amvets in business in our immediate area. He said these men need to get off their barstools and show some interest in remembering those who served before them. At first I thought this was a pretty strong statement, but the more I thought about it, I had to agree. The parking lots of these establishments are crammed full several nights a week and on the weekends, but they can't take the time to recognize their fellow veterans.
What are your plans this holiday weekend? Does your community recognize its veterans? We're getting the house ready for a graduation party next weekend. I'm off the rest of the week in order to prepare. We're expecting approximately 100 people, which means having lots of food ready! We'll have a tent, tables and chairs set up in the backyard by a party rental business as our house simply isn't large enough to accommodate that many people.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend - please remember our servicemen and women and if you see a veteran, thank them for their service to our country, I guarantee you'll get a proud smile in return.
Laurie

3 comments:

Judy F said...

Happy Holiday weekend.

NO real plans for me. I think Mt. Healthy has a parade tomorrow. Thanks to all who serve

Stacy~ said...

Hey Laurie, I hope you had a wonderful weekend.

Thank you to all those in the military and their families.

Anonymous said...

Chiming in late as usual. Memorial Day is a day where I always stop and give thanks to the men and women who have given their lives for me and my country. I think it should be the most patriotic day of the year.
And you I have a graduation party in my near future. 'Tis the season. :)