Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Mom's Weekend '07


Another Mom's Weekend is in the books. It was a little less hectic than those in the past, but we still had loads of fun. I went alone this time - last year my friend Carla went as stand-in mom for Lindsay's roommate, but she had obligations at home that didn't permit her to go. Lindsay's roommate's mother didn't come again, so I was "it" for both of them - nothing new since they've been friends since second grade and her mother typically never has time. Very sad.
Friday evening I took them to dinner at Ruby Tuesdays, which is always very good. After that we went back to their house and hung out for a while before walking uptown for a drink.
Saturday we did the Walk for the Cure, an invigorating way to start a Saturday morning! The girls then took me on a tour of the new student center at OU, which is simply stunning http://www.ohio.edu/center/ . Linny took me to the school library to show me the vaults she works in - her title is Assistant Curator of Archives and Special Collections - how cool is that? Saw some works from the 1100's - very impressive. We stayed downtown and had lunch and went to a craft fair. I headed home around 4:00, coming home early because Linny has a huge project that she's working on. Because there was no one else home before I left, Lindsay stretched her arm and took the above picture of the two of us in her room.
Other than my battling a serious cough for the past week as a result of allergies/sinus, it was a great weekend. Hard to believe that Lindsay is about to wrap up her third year of college! I'm so very proud of the wonderful young woman she has grown up to be.

2 comments:

Judy F said...

I am glad you had a good time with Linny. She has a great mom.
Hope you start feeling better soon

Stacy~ said...

Hey Laurie, I'm glad you had such a great time. Sorry about the cough - I've had that happen to me twice so far this year and everyone's insisting it's allergies. The cough goes on for weeks - really annoying. Hang in there, kid.

Geez, I feel so bad for Linny's roommate. How very sad. If her mom only knew what she was missing out on. It's a good thing you're there - I bet it makes it easier to have you take her under your wing.