Thursday, November 09, 2006

AMERICAN DIABETES MONTH

Hey Everyone!
November is American Diabetes Month - check out the link below to see what you can do to further research efforts for a cure. Diabetes is a deadly disease that affects 21 million adults and children in the United States.
I failed to heed warnings from my doctor a few years ago that I was a prime candidate for diabetes - overweight, fairly sedentary, family history, etc. - I did develop diabetes and was diagnosed a little over two years ago. By the time I was diagnosed, I already had damaged blood vessels in my eyes, my liver wasn't functioning properly, and I had slight muscle damage in one leg. I now have good diabetic control with medication, diet and exercise, but I will never be rid of it. I was foolish not to listen, please don't you be foolish too. Know what the symptoms are, get up off your ass and stay active, eat right, and most importantly, if you have children, get them busy too. Turn off the television, video games and computers, and go outside and play ball, walk or ride bikes.

http://www.diabetes.org/communityprograms-and-localevents/americandiabetesmonth.jsp

Hugs,
Laurie

1 comment:

Stacy~ said...

Another great cause to support, Laurie. I have a co-worker who supports it every year through a walkathon, though he focuses more on Juvenile Diabetes because he has nephews with the disease.