Monday, May 25, 2009

Let us not forget


This Memorial Day, let's remember the true reason behind the holiday. It isn't just a day off work or the beginning of summer barbecues and days at the pool. Thank a veteran. If there's a parade or memorial service in your community, please, I'm begging you, go to it. Show your appreciation to the men and women who risked their lives and lost friends and loved ones in the defense of our wonderful country.
Our community had a parade and a memorial service yesterday and it was so poorly attended that it was just plain sad. Besides the veterans that were there, I don't think there was more than a dozen of us in attendance.
I'm remembering my father today, who died 31 years ago. He was a Korean War Navy vet and I miss him terribly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture you posted.

God bless all our soldiers in harms way and also to those who are not.

Thank you for your sacrifices. May you all come home soon safe and sound.

Pat L.

Judy F said...

Our local parade is at 2 today. I plan on watching it. Hopefully we will have a good turn out.

Blessing to all that have served and are serving today.

Karin said...

I would have gone to one of the few activities around our community today if I hadn't had to stay home with my mom who is recuperating from having her hip replacement surgery this past Tuesday. We watched the televised celebrations. I try to do what I can for the vets as I've had a number of family members in the armed services and currently have two cousins in different branches.

Aside from that, my family is having a barbecue this afternoon where my brothers, sister and their families, as well as my grandmothers will come over to my parents' house.