Wednesday, April 18, 2007

DANCING SHOES AND HONKY TONK BLUES

I have read all but one of LuAnn McLane's http://www.luannmclane.com books - it turns out that the one I haven't read, DARK ROOTS AND COWBOY BOOTS, was her first first-person book. Her latest, DANCING SHOES AND HONKY TONK BLUES, is the second and I highly recommend it, especially if you're looking to try first-person writing. LuAnn's characters are always fun, respectful and passionate - Abby and Rio are no exception. DANCING SHOES will be out May 1st, from Signet Eclipse. This is my review:

When Abilene “Abby” Harper signs on as a contestant on the reality television show, Dancing with the Rednecks, it is mainly for a chance at the $50,000.00 prize. When she is paired with professional ballroom dancer Rio Martin, by far one of the most gorgeous men in the world, the two couldn’t be more opposite. Abby lives a simple life, waitressing at her mother’s diner, and she would love to be able to help her mother with some much needed renovations, and help her brother get the college education he deserves. Abby and Rio agree that the only heat between them should be on the dance floor, but as they spend several sultry hours together every day, mostly in each other’s arms and with neither of them involved with anyone, it’s only natural that an attraction would spark and test their resolve.
Rio Martin isn’t happy about being a contestant in the Comedy Channel’s dancing spoof, but after he meets Abby and sees her enthusiasm, he is determined to win. Rio takes his dancing very seriously, and will accept nothing less from Abby than her absolute best. Having been burned by another dancer, he is especially wary of getting involved with anyone and has resisted that temptation. Abby Harper, however, is a cool drink of water whose southern hospitality is just a little too tempting for Rio to resist.

Abby and Rio are polar opposites, but share an intense passion as well as the utmost respect for one another, which seems to make their differences insignificant. Abby’s stubborn determination is matched by Rio’s willingness to work hard in order to win this competition. This latest offering from LuAnn McLane is written in first person; her second book in this style, and is excellently written. I am highly impressed with Abby and Rio’s story, and I know that readers will settle into this book very comfortably, feeling as if Abby is telling you her story. I swear that I could hear Abby’s southern accent and Rio’s sexy, smooth accent! Don’t miss DANCING SHOES AND HONKY TONK BLUES, it is great fun and I can confidently guarantee that you’ll love it.

Thanks for checking out my review; I hope you'll click this link, taking you to Amazon so you can order your own copy! http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Shoes-Honky-Tonk-Signet-Eclipse/dp/0451221036/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-2381367-0694212?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176951819&sr=8-1

Laurie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review, Laurie. I haven't seen it on our shelves yet, but I know it will not be long. I'm looking forward to it.

Judy F said...

Oh Lisa you will love this book. I could not put it down. Great review Laurie jo... I need to get my butt in gear and get my review done.

Laurie D. said...

Judy's right, Lisa, you will love it! Thanks so much to both of you for stopping by and your kind words. I think LuAnn and I were hoping to stir up a little conversation about first person writing - oh well. I've just picked up on first person in the past year or so, after years of avoiding them like the plague. I think I'm going to make my next column at Romancing the Blog on first person, if I can come up with enough to talk about!

Judy F said...

I was never ever a fan of first person books until I read Linda Howard's book last year. Linda is a must read for me and I LOVED the book. I have since read a few other first person books and have liked them too. I know a few friends that won't even try first person but I think you should give it a try.