Thursday, October 26, 2006

INFATUATION by Alison Kent



Okay, the kudos continue for Alison Kent! I picked this book up on Sunday at Waldenbooks in the mall. While standing deep in line to pay, I received a txt msg from my daughter who was in the Forever 21 dressing room (next door) and needed me to look at the dress she was trying on - immediately! Tim stood in line for me and paid for the book, totally unfazed by holding a romance in his rough, calloused man-hands. What a guy.

The last time he heard me talk about Alison was in a different bookstore, different mall, when I was looking for her CIG to Writing Erotic Romance. I was in the store by myself, and not being able to find it, asked a young male clerk to help me find it. This poor boy turned red as a beet, took me to the "Relationships/Self-Help" display and promptly left. Tim choose that moment to track me down, finding me intently searching the "relationship" shelves. I had to explain that there evidently had been a misunderstanding and no, I didn't think our 27 year marriage was in need of mending. I once again approached the clerk, who I swear cringed when he saw me coming, asking if he could look the book up. It was then clear that he didn't hear me say "writing" in the book title - he thought I was looking for the CIG to Erotic Romance, thus the relationship directive. Too funny!

Anyway, about INFATUATION, there are a handful of Blaze authors that I faithfully read. No, I'm not naming names. I've most likely discussed some of them previously, right here. The Blaze line has greatly improved and while I'm not and won't be, a subscriber again, I find myself picking them up more frequently than in the past. I never miss an Alison Kent book and am always confident in recommending them without hesitation. This book is no exception. It is excellent - I only wish it could have been about twice as long! A brief review for INFATUATION:

Rennie Bergen and Milla Page knew each other in college, when she was the girlfriend of his roommate. The two hit it off immediately, proving that opposites most definitely do attract. Rennie came from a hard-working middleclass family and Milla was the cream of the high society crop, as was her boyfriend. When Rennie and Milla had a secret, brief affair, the result was a myriad of hurt feelings and ultimately, changed lives.

Milla works at a dating service, as a reviewer of hot clubs and night spots. When Rennie's name comes up as a potential date from a "pool" of men's business cards in her office, Milla nervously decides to go see him at his car repair/body shop. Rennie is cool to Milla, almost cruel at times, but seeing how his feelings were the first to be stomped on in their earlier relationship, and because he is unaware of the significant changes in Milla's life, he's not a jerk for it. Milla is a small woman, of tempered steel it seems, as she is remarkably capable of taking care of herself. She gives back to Rennie as good as she takes.

The two embark on a new, adult relationship, shocked that the sexual intensity that previously existed is still there, possibly stronger than before. Just when it looks like they might be moving in the direction of a solid relationship, both find that the other has been keeping secrets and that their lives aren't at all what they seem.

Several brief flashbacks into the past help detail the previous relationship of Rennie and Milla. I typically don't like flashbacks, but these are very well done and go far to embellish the story, similar to the flashbacks in AK's FOUR MEN AND A LADY, also excellently done.

I highly recommend this book to all romance fans, whether regular readers of the Blaze line or not. And if you haven't picked up a Blaze lately? DO IT!

Thanks,

Laurie :)

4 comments:

Stacy~ said...

Laurie, I also picked this one up within the last week, and I'm really looking forward to getting a chance to read it. Great review :)

Judy F said...

I bought this too, have to get to it sometime.

OH that is too funny about her writing book. We have it in our reference section with the other writing books. I looked through it at work and it does look interesting.

Awesome Review.

I can't wait to see you tomorrow

Laurie D. said...

Thanks Stacy and Judy! I know that you'll both love this one, of course, there's never disappointment with any of Alison's books!

You guys are the best!

Judy F said...

I just finished it last night. Excellent book.