Thursday, October 12, 2006

A FOOL FOR FALL!

Yep, that's me! I absolutely love this time of year, except for the unseasonably cold temps today - doesn't look like we're going to make it out of the 30's. We even had a very brief little snow squall this afternoon. I love the beautiful leaves, the crisp nights, the smell of fire in the neighbors' chimnea. I have to admit that the first time I smelled their chimnea a couple of years ago, I thought my house was on fire - I was running all over the house, up and down stairs, looking for smoke. Now I pay no attention to it - someday my house will probably burn down around me!
We make several trips to the apple orchard and I'll be making a couple more batches of applesauce, we'll hit the pumpkin patch, and there's a craft festival called the Prairie Peddler that we never miss on the last weekend in September. This Sunday we are going to the Bob Evans Farm Festival at the original Bob Evans farm in Rio Grande, Ohio, depending on the weather. We went two years ago and had a great time. They have lots of great Bob Evans food, of course, but there are also huge tents with varied craftspeople, each and every one incredibly talented. Another thing that was fun to watch was tractor squaredancing. I know this sounds very cornball, and I guess it is, but it was great fun to watch. I don't know if I can even explain it except to say that there are eight (full sized) tractors involved, driven by four men and four women paired off as couples in a good sized arena; there's a caller and music and they promenade, do-si-do and swing around, just as if they were on foot. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen! I'll try to get a picture of them.
So what do you do to celebrate fall? Tell us about your festivals, decorations, parties and food!
Laurie

5 comments:

Laurie D. said...

Awww, Ciar, I'm so sorry - you must hate the way fall and it's celebrations are so "in your face" right now. If it helps any, I hate winter and dread it's arrival, but until then, I'm going to make the best of it and enjoy fall!! We had high temps in the 30's today and a brief snow shower this afternoon - that definitely sucks.

Judy F said...

It really dropped temp wise today. THe one girl at work that leaves when I do didn't have a jacket today. I just turned my heat on in the apt to get the chill out of the air.

I do love fall/spring. HATE Winter.

I am going to a sauerkraut festival this weekend up in Waynesville. You should try to come some year. Tons and tons of crafts. Its fun

Laurie D. said...

Judy,
We had a guy come in the office yesterday in shorts and a t-shirt. It was 31 degrees! Crazy man.
I've heard of the sauerkraut festival in Waynesville but haven't been to it. We've been to Waynesville one time, spent the afternoon wandering the antique shops and had lunch, it was a good time. Have fun!!

Wolfy said...

The thing I do to get ready for Fall, is to put away all the summer stuff, and get ready for the Winter that I know is coming. Even though Fall is pretty, I really don't look forward to the Winter. We have a giant outdoor Farmer's Market with old fashioned prices at Heritage Park, and that is about it for our Fall activites.

Cryna

Laurie D. said...

Cryna, I need to do the summer/winter clothes switch. Is the farmer's market a weekly thing or a one-time thing? My hubby is a nut over farm markets - visits two or three around here every Sat. a.m.