Saturday, July 08, 2006

VACATION '06 - On the road again . . .

This is the view from our hotel balcony during last year's vacation to our usual vacation destination, Myrtle Beach, SC. We typically throw in other stops before or after Myrtle Beach; the last two years it was Charleston and Savannah. This year we plan to spend a day or two in the Outer Banks area and then head south along the coastline from there.
I'm hoping for a pleasant, restful vacation for all of us, but Tim's idea of pleasant and restful is in a different hemisphere from mine. He is one of those people who lives life at 110 mph, non-stop, full speed ahead - constantly on the go. He wears us out. The girls and I would be happy getting up around 10, lounging by the pool all afternoon, doing a little shopping and then a nice dinner out, topped off by a late-nite stroll on the beach before settling down with a good book until 1 or 2 in the morning. Tim likes to start the day with a family stroll on the beach, around 6 am, and then do and see as much as possible for the rest of the day, until bedtime by which time you are in an exhausted stupor, comatose as soon as your head hits the pillow.
There was discussion on Jill Shalvis's blog the other day about how some of us are directionally dysfunctional, my response is below; it pretty much summarizes what happens to us on the road, at least once on every single vacation, guarandamnteed.
Oh, I really wish you hadn’t brought up the lack of a sense of direction!! We’re leaving on vacation Sunday and I’m sure that I’ve just been jinxed! I am the navigator on our trips - big mistake. I’m the one who cannot keep my eyes open in the car - something about rolling along the open highway just puts me to sleep. There’s something about missed exits and backtracking that just sets my hubby off, and then we ride in stony silence for several hours, or until he reaches over to pat me on the knee, letting me know that we’re all right. I could pat his knee first but I never do -I silently seethe about how I never asked for the navigator position. Maybe I’ll do the knee pat first on this vacation; he’ll be so surprised he’ll probably drive off the road.
I hope everyone has a great week while the Damrons are on vacation - I'll miss you!
Hugs,
Laurie :)

1 comment:

Judy F said...

I hope you had a great time and Tim didn't wear you out to much. My dad is just like that on vacation, you have to pack as much in 24 hours as you can. OY. I so missed you. Take care