Thursday, May 04, 2006

The middle-aged co-ed, one woman's story

I'm off to college this weekend! Actually I'm going to Mom's Weekend at Ohio University http://www.ohio.edu/ where my oldest daughter, Lindsay, is a sophomore. I went last year and had a blast. OU has the most beautiful campus, a charming little downtown where every other business is a bar, pub or tavern (of course, it is #5 on the list of party schools nationwide), and is surrounded by scenic rolling hills and valleys (aka "hollers" to the locals).

There are always a gazillion activities going on, but come Mom's Weekend they pull out all the stops. We can't begin to do every single activity, but some that we are participating in are the Walk for the Cure on Sat. morning, in benefit of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the National Breast Cancer Foundation, and after freshening up we are going to two craft markets, one consists of women-owned local businesses that offers clothing, jewelry and crafts, another craft show which is touted as offering "fine arts and crafts," that will be followed up by another visit to the syncronized swimming exhibition by the OU swimmers (you may laugh, but we went last year and it was very impressive). Sat. night will probably be wrapped up at a small downtown coffee shop called The Donkey, which has live entertainment on the weekends.

My day tomorrow will start at the gym, since I can't go Saturday morning as usual, I'm making up for it , then home to shower before going to the hospital for my special views mammogram. After that I'll be packing up for my special weekend with Linny! My best friend since 11th grade is going with me, she'll act as stand-in mother for Lindsay's roommate whose mother isn't going. A good time is guaranteed!

I hope everyone has a terrific weekend! Be safe if you're on the road.

No comments: