Monday, May 01, 2006

In Search Of . . .

my inner skinny woman. I know she's in there. Somewhere. Through diet and exercise I'm trying to get her to show her face. Oh, but she's a stubborn little lassie.

A long-time friend and I have been going to a women-only workout center three times a week for two months now. I know what you're thinking. A gaggle of geriatrics in jogging suits on exercise bikes, sweatin' to the oldies. Nope. We have a circuit of weight machines, steppers, joggers, exercise balls and yes, there are exercise bikes. We love it! We're all ages and we laugh, joke, commiserate and support each other for the hour we are there, with no hulking, sweaty men around to see us sweat, jiggle or to lift our weights aside with their pinkies so they can lift their 2,000 lb. weights. No one thinks anything of it if someone has to run to the restroom before doing the leg press. I have an exercise ball at home that I use every night to do crunches and I've been walking my ass off, up and down the stairs, around blocks and blocks, and across huge parking lots. My basset hound Fred has even lost some weight since he is my not-so-enthusiastic walking partner. He would rather watch me roll around on a ball in the living room from the comfort of his doggie bed than be an active participant in my quest for good health. The cat can't even watch me on the ball - she simply leaves the room. It's not pretty.

I've seen a few pounds fall off, but the inches are finally starting to melt off and I feel very good about myself and my progress. Someday I just might be able to trade my 2 liter belly for a 6 pack of abs. Hell, who am I kidding? - I'd be happy with a single frozen juice can.

What do you do in the name of fitness and exercise?

6 comments:

Kelley Nyrae said...

I hear ya here! I'm currently on a diet trying to find my inner skinny woman as well. I've just been doing the diet and the treadmill 45 minutes 5 days per week. I lost really fast at first now I'm slowing down. Someday, maybe I'll meet my target.

Anonymous said...

I would love to meet my inner skinny woman. Unfortunately I eat compulsively as I write!

Laurie D. said...

Kelley, you are doing fabulous - don't get discouraged by this plateau - things will kick in again and you'll be sailing again!

Jill, I just love to eat. Period. I think I must eat in my sleep, no matter what I do the pounds just do battle with me! Thanks for stopping by!

Stacy~ said...

Diet and exercise? Could someone tell me what those words mean?

Seriously, I am the worst. I'm not a big eater but when I do, it's all the bad stuff. Pop, junk food, fast food - all the yummy but evil stuff that should kill me before too much longer. And exercise? Please. I am so lazy, it's not even funny. I just had a fitness test (blood work, etc) through work last week, and should find out my results in a week or so. Once I do, I bet I'll be looking up those words in the dictionary.

Wolfy said...

I am not sure I ever have had an inner skinny woman. I have tried diets and excercise, but always seem to do well for awhile and then get discouraged and quit. I would like to lose about 10 pounds and I think that would be great, but I am not going to hold my breath about it. You go Laurie, I admire that you are taking a stand and not giving up.

Cryna

Laurie D. said...

Stacy, I hope your tests turn out a-ok! I love eating junk. I swear that I could live on sweets. I'm not much of a meat eater; could very easily be vegetarian, but I do love all kinds of bread and there aren't many sweets that don't whisper my name! I do like to chase it all down with Diet Coke though, so I'll take a little credit for that! I like to joke that stock in Hostess probably took a dive when I started my healthy life changes (I don't like the word diet)!

Cryna, I wish 10 pounds was all I had to worry about. I think I could easily lose 40, although my gyno. says to not worry about the weight, it's the muscle replacing the fat that's important. Muscle weighs more than fat, but at the same time, it takes up less room when it is nice and tight. I have a long way to go for nice and tight, but I'm working on it! Thanks for the encouragement!