Friday, July 21, 2006

The end of summer?

I feel like my summer is over now that our vacation falls into the "was" category. The beach towels are washed and back on their assigned shelf in the linen closet, sunburns have faded to peeling skin, the waves crashing onto the shore are but a memory, and the sand has been cleaned out of every nook and cranny of our sandals and the car. Makes me a little maudlin.
Before the girls were born we always had to take our vacations after August 31st - that was Tim's start date at the job he was working then. I would plan our trips all summer long - it was still warm enough to swim and enjoy the outdoors, but most kids were back in school by then, so regardless of where we went, it was fairly quiet. The most memorable of those trips is the one where we took off for two weeks without a single plan. I think we came close to seeing every state in the southeastern United States and we had an absolute blast, just the two of us. We were young and completely carefree - no kids, no house, no pets, not much money!! One stop was to tour the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg, TN, and after the tour we were invited to the home of Miss Mamie Daniels, Jack's (great?) granddaughter, for a homestyle lunch with a dozen or so other folks from the tour, right in her dining room. Talk about southern hospitality - we had a feast - it was a wonderful experience. I'm certain that Miss Mamie is probably long gone as she was fairly old then, but I've often wondered if they still do this.
I guess we need to make some plans for a long weekend or two yet this summer - one of them will have to be for just the two of us. The Ohio State Park system has some beautiful lodges that are perfect for a couples-only get away. Maybe I'll make a reservation and surprise Tim with a weekend away. I'll even willingly navigate - no knee patting necessary when it's in the name of a romantic getaway!
I hope everyone has a great weekend - I have several books to write reviews for; I just haven't been able to get my head into it. I think my brain is still at the beach - must be sand in the nooks and crannies!
Hugs,
Laurie

1 comment:

Stacy~ said...

Laurie, I know how you feel. It seems like closer to the end of July, you feel the end of summer coming faster and faster, and of course by Labor Day, a sadness sets in because soon it will be winter. Summer goes way too fast.

Yeah, you need to plan one of those weekends with the dh. Gives you both something to look forward to.