Monday, December 17, 2007

NAME THAT CAROL!!



UPDATED! Ok, with all of the shopping and running around I've been doing, I almost forgot to update the carol list with the corresponding numbers. I hope those of you who played have enjoyed our silly game! Merry Christmas, everyone!

Several years ago, our office received a fax with ten "riddles" that describe the titles of Christmas carols. We had so much fun with it that two of us came up with several more. I came across the list in my desk last week and decided to dust it off and post it here so anyone stopping by can join in the fun! Our office has an ornament exchange/pizza lunch every year and this year we're doing it on Thursday; I plan to bring this out since we have a couple of new people since we last played. I remember one (former) co-worker, an especially nasty woman whose goal it was to make everyone else in the office look ignorant (We called her "BM" for "Backstabbing Mary") - she couldn't get any of them and threw a rather embarrassing hissy fit about what a stupid game it was - wadding up her paper and throwing it across the room. We enjoyed that so much that we added to the list the following year. She then moved away and the game just wasn't as much fun!!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. I'll include the list with the carol names, but the first round is typically played without the assistance of the names. I'll stop back in a couple of days and post the answers for those who have trouble. Have fun!

CLUES:
1. The lad is a diminutive percussionist.
2. Stepping on the pad cover.
3. The red suited Pa is due in this berg.
4. Cup-shaped sounding instrument fashioned of white metallic element.
5. The department of two psychiatrists.
6. Decorate the entryways.
7. Sir Lancelot with laryngitis.
8. Far back in the hay bin.
9. Tiny little Alan, King and Nat Cole.
10. Uncouth dolf has his beezer in the booze and thinks he is a dark
cloud’s boyfriend.
11. Duodecimal enumeration of the passage of the Yuletide season.
12. Leave and do an elevated broadcast.
13. Our fervent hope is that you thoroughly enjoy your Yuletide season.
14. Small Israeli urban center.
15. Listen, the winged messengers are proclaiming tunefully.
16. As the guardians of little woolly animals protected their charges in the shadows of the night.
17. Beyond I envision a trio of nautical vessels.
18. A joyful song of reverence relative to hollow metallic vessels which
bring forth a ringing sound when struck.
19. Jubilation to the entire terrestrial globe.
20. Do you perceive the same longitudinal pressure which stimulates my auditory sense organs?
21. A strafed member of the round table.
22. A parent was observed osculating a red coated unshaven teamster.
23. Wanted in December – forward incisors!!
24. May a deity bestow an absence of fatigue to humanity.
25. An event which arrived on a cloudless bewitching hour.
26. Alphabet minus the twelve letter, the primary ordinal time.
27. After the solstice, a stroll through a vista of amazement.
28. Amusement park entertainment for Stephen King.
29. Fantasize constantly about a Yuletide without color.

CAROLS:
O Little Town of Bethlehem 14
Go Tell it on the Mountain 12
Away in a Manger 8
Nutcracker Suite 5
Up on the Housetop 2
Twelve Days of Christmas 11
Sleigh Ride 28
I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas 29
We Three Kings 9
I Saw Three Ships 17
Do You Hear What I Hear? 20
O Holy Night 7
The First Noel 26
All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth 23
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing 15
As Shepherds Watch Their Flocks by Night 16
Walking in a Winter Wonderland 27
Joy to the World 19
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus 22
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear 25
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen 24
Ding Dong Merrily the Bells 18
Little Drummer Boy 1
Santa Claus is Coming to Town 3
Silver Bells 4
We Wish You a Merry Christmas 13
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer 10
Silent Night 21
Deck the Halls 6

3 comments:

Fedora said...

Ooh, thanks for the holiday fun, Laurie! Off to give it a try :)

Stacy~ said...

Sounds like a fun one - I might steal it from you LOL.

Laurie D. said...

Thanks for playing, Fedora and Stacy! We've had so much fun with this crazy game over the years. I can assure you that the ones that are more difficult were thought up by my friend, April - I'm not capable of thinking up anything very complex!

Merry Christmas!!