Monday, February 12, 2007

Let me call you sweetheart . . .

Sing with me now - -

Let me call you Sweetheart, I'm in love with you.
Let me hear you whisper that you love me too.
Keep the love-light glowing in your eyes so true.
Let me call you Sweetheart, I'm in love with you.

I have always loved that song; I remember singing to my girls when they were babies. I sang to them all of the time, if I wasn't reading to them, at least until they were old enough to realize that my singing totally sucked. Once they started to laugh at me, I quit singing and stuck with reading! They are both avid readers, to the extent their school schedules permit, and I'm sure it's because of all of the reading we did when they were little. Their dad didn't read to them much, but taught them equally important lessons, like how to bait a fish hook, how to mow the grass so the lawn has perfect stripes, how to check the oil in the car, and how to play poker. He and Kelsey used to play poker every morning (after he did her pigtails or ponytail) while waiting for the time to roll around for him to take her to kindergarten. One of the perks of having a dad who works second shift, I guess!
Do you have a sweetheart this Valentine's Day? I have the same one I've had for 27 years. Neither of us is quite as shiny and new as we were 27 years ago, but we're still very happy together. He's my one true love, for sure. We don't exchange traditional Valentines, haven't for several years. I'll bake him some Valentine cookies and make some fudge, two of his favorites, and he'll buy me something I've been eyeing at the Scotts Antique Market when it comes to Columbus next weekend. I have a bracelet that he bought me last year that's made from old typewriter keys (the round, buttony looking kind) - this year the woman who makes them has some that are made from other, larger keys, like "Tab," "Margin," "Shift" and so on. I was checking them out when the market was here last month, and Tim remembered, telling me last night that he would buy me one on Saturday for my Valentine. He's such a good guy.
I hope everyone has a fun, loving Valentine's Day. If you don't have a sweetheart this year, then by all means, do something nice for yourself!
Big Valentine hugs,
Laurie
xo

1 comment:

Judy F said...

Happy Valentines day. I am glad you have such a wonderful guy you deserve it...

Me I just have the four footed furry Sammy. He doesn't give me presents but does make my day...

Hugs