Monday, April 19, 2010

DARK DECEPTIONS by Dee Davis




Author Dee Davis has a new book, DARK DECEPTIONS, available this month - it's on the shelves now! This is the first in a new romantic suspense series from Ms. Davis, and everyone who knows how much I love romantic suspense can imagine how very excited I am! Dee Davis is a new author to me and I'm thrilled to have found her. I have reviewed DARK DECEPTIONS on behalf of Romance Junkies and hope that I'll be fortunate enough to snag the upcoming releases DANGEROUS DESIRE (July, 2010) and DESPERATE DEEDS (August, 2010) for review as well. Trust me, regardless of whether I get them for review or not, I'll be getting my hands on them! It wasn't until I was putting together this blog that I saw the extensive backlist on Ms. Davis's website - it left me wondering how in the world I've missed her all these years. Here's a little about DARK DECEPTIONS - I hope you'll check it out a little closer. Dee Davis is an author that I'll be keeping on my watch list!

TORN BETWEEN DUTY AND DESIRE
Covert operations expert Nash Brennon has spent the last eight years trying to forget Annie Gallagher, his former field partner and the only woman he ever loved. Annie betrayed him when he needed her most, then vanished without a trace. Now suddenly she’s back in the game—this time as a suspected traitor and threat to national security.
Annie’s son has been kidnapped by political terrorists. The price for his life? Assassinate a UN ambassador. Then Nash finds her, and immediately, the smoldering passion between Annie and the man she swore she’d never contact again almost blazes out of control. But can Nash trust her? The stakes couldn’t be higher: their enemy’s endgame is personal, and one false move could cost them their lives.


Dee Davis has a great excerpt here for DARK DECEPTIONS - go have a look!

My review:
When Annie Gallagher turned her back on Nash Brennon eight years ago, he moved on with his life. When she turns back up and is in serious danger, he’s put in charge of keeping her safe. No problem for someone who doesn’t have feelings for her any longer. Too bad his heart hasn’t gotten the message.

A CIA affiliated A-Tac operative, Nash Brennon loved his partner, Annie Gallagher, eight years ago and has never forgotten a single detail about her. Especially how she betrayed him and nearly cost him his life before disappearing. When it’s discovered that a hit has been taken out on the life of a UN Ambassador, it isn’t long before A-Tac realizes that the former CIA sharpshooter Annie Gallagher is the suspected hit woman. It turns out that Annie’s young son, Adam, has been kidnapped and the requirement for his return is non-negotiable – she must assassinate the ambassador. The misunderstandings between Nash and Annie continue to grow as A-Tac works frantically to determine who the players are and free Annie’s son. Nash soon learns that things were not what they seemed eight years ago, just as they aren’t what they seem now. His future as well as his very life depends on what he chooses to do with the new information.
Annie always believed that Nash was the one who rejected her and had no idea that he felt the same about her. Her feelings for Nash begin to soften almost immediately and she soon feels familiar tugs on her heart after working with him again, but her primary focus is finding her son. When the ambassador is assassinated and Annie was nowhere near the scene, she realizes that she’s being set up. Unfortunately, Nash and A-Tac don’t see things the same and she is a hair’s breadth away from being charged in the murder. There are many truths to be shared between Annie and Nash, but before they can even begin to think about settling the past misunderstandings they’ll have to fight to stay alive.
Nash and Annie are excellently written characters, each believing they were wronged by the other. Back story is told efficiently and without dragging down their renewed relationship. Secondary characters are huge to this story and their relationship to Nash and Annie will serve well in the future books in this series. I often find juvenile characters unrealistic and their conversations sometimes tedious and irritating. That was definitely not the case with Adam. I found him believable and his actions and mannerisms were spot-on for a child his age – kudos to Ms. Davis for that. Misunderstandings between Nash and Annie as well as an A-Tac inside informant are a tad predictable, but the story is fast paced and well written, making both non-issues. Love scenes are credibly placed and don’t feel thrown in or forced; they definitely aren’t the major focus of the story. I am anxious for the upcoming books in this series and highly recommend DARK DECEPTIONS to all who enjoy suspense and intrigue successfully wrapped in romance.

Lastly, here's a link to Amazon so you can grab your own copy - might as well go ahead and preorder DANGEROUS DESIRE and DESPERATE DEEDS while you're there.
Thanks for checking it out! I hope everyone has a great week!
Laurie

4 comments:

Scorpio M. said...

I just won a copy of this book, so happy to read your positive views. I can't wait to dig in!

WEIGHT LESS NOT MORE said...

I'm reading this right now and it's good.

Barbara said...

I really like Dee Davis' writing. I picked up this one a few weeks ago but haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. You know so many book so little time.

Really nice review Laurie as always. Didn't know this was a series though so I will have to add the two follow up books to my TBB list.

Sandi said...

I've yet to pick this up, but it's been on my wish list for a bit now. I'm really hoping it comes out in ebook. I would really suggest her previous Dancing In The Dark. Loved that one.